Tuesday 14 April 2009

TRIFLE'S GUIDE TO YOUTUBE POOP #1: THE SOURCE MATERIAL

This is a youtube poop:


If you are not interested in it at all, don't read the rest of this post.

I was specifically asked not to post a type of video called 'youtube poop' on this blog.
My next few posts will be a short history of the 'youtube poop' style of video, at no point will I analyze why they are funny or why I like them, I'll just post various different styles and takes on it.

The main source material for youtube poops is based on a series of internet memes, the core two being the incredibly low-budget cutscenes from terrible copyright-breaking games for the most unsuccessful console of all time: the Phillips CD-I.
Here are the original clips:

#1: "Hotel Mario"


#2: Zelda CD-I, "The Faces Of Evil" and "The Wand of Gamalon"


Another bit of source material is the Disastrous "Super Mario Brother's Super Show" which started every episode with a painful live action Mario and Luigi having hilarious japes in their Brooklyn house, a celebrity was always clumsily written into the plot of each of these openings:



There are literally hundreds of other jokes/memes that run in youtube poop (mostly from unsuccessful games, especially ones starring Mario such as "Mario Poker" and "Mario is Missing") but these clips are probably the most important ones to know.