Saturday 8 August 2009

CRACK IS WACK (JUST SAY NO) PART 1


There are literally hundreds of Anti drug raps (mainly focusing on crack cocaine) from 1985-1988, as bad as the emergence of crack was for many people, at least it gave mediocre rappers a chance to get a 12" pressed.

I guess Kool Moe Dee's monster crack is one of the forerunners of the crack sound.

What a chorus on this one, the sound of a dulled out river barge fog horn, pumping out underneath the lyrical genuis of "get smart on the crack-a-lack crack crack crack crack crack-a-lack". I can't really tell if they are telling me to get wise to the dangers of crack, or they are urging me to go and take some, as in, hey man get hip to this new experience.

"Whats that on your shelf mark? Oh that, it's my old broken crack pipe" BTW Herb Powers WTF?

Just look at the line up for this album! An entire anti crack record featuring some of the shittiest rap music I have ever heard. Genuinely so bad it boggles the mind. This one is by a guy called Cal ET. Like many of these records, it is the chorus that pushes it into the realms of absurdity.

"Cee-rrr-aaa-cee-kay surely does not paaay" I like this one, I enjoy the sub par RUN DMC vocal interplay. I also think "J.C may be Jesus Christ himself rapping. I strongly recommend you listen to the taxi jacking story at 2:19. "No, you blew it".

Even though we posted this a couple of years ago on VT, I think it deserves to make another appearance given the subject matter.

No comments: